Sunday, June 10, 2012

Adios and Vaya Con Dios

The turtle is gone.  I have a garden area fenced off that I don't allow the dogs in---and I just CALL it the garden area, I have never successfully grown a garden in there, but someday----anyway, I planned to move him there from my front yard and let him live with us but he had different ideas.  Friday night when I went out to water the morning glories he was trying to get through the chain link fence into the vacant lot next to me.  He had his head and one of his front legs through an opening at the bottom....he is smaller than last year's turtle....and he seemed determined to leave so I got the shovel out, picked him up and set him over the fence.  Maybe he has a wife and family to get to.  Since I live about 130 ft from a highway I worry about him and hopes he takes off south to pasture behind me and then west to the creek area.  He would probably love it by the little creek and in the shade of the trees the grow along the banks.  The water comes from a small lake (big pond is more accurate but here in my part of TX where it is dry as popcorn & water is scarce we use the term "lake" for anything bigger than a mud puddle) at a park a mile or so down the road.  If I had been brave ...I am not a reptile person....I would have put him in a box and drove him to that lake but then kids in the park might have messed with him too.  A ways down the road in that pasture live goats, sheep, cattle, and horses.  I think the turtle might do better with them rather than the pit bull and doberman that live next door to me so I hope he doesn't go in that direction.  My friend told me the orange indicates he was a boy ornamental box turtle.  He was really beautiful.  The photo does not do him justice ... his orange spots were like jewels they were so vibrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment