Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Morning Glories Are Coming Up!

I am determined to keep these Heavenly Blues alive this year. I have them coming up along 190 feet of chain link fence facing the front of my property and along the side facing a busy street.  The first year I lived here I just had them along the front but they were absolutely beautiful.  Last year the intense heat we suffered here just burned them up before they got large enough to bloom.  My theory is that if I can get them to grow this year they will reseed themselves and keep coming up forever.  I should have planted them about 6 weeks before I did but it just didn't get done.  I buy my seeds in bulk at a garden center.  I didn't count them but for $1.49 a scoop you get a lot of seeds.  The garden center is about 20 miles from my home so when I saw some packages of Morning Glory seeds at a store I picked up 8 packages, thinking I would save some gas and not drive back out to my favorite garden center.  LOL!  When I opened one of these packages there was a total of THREE seeds in there!  3!!!  Out of the 8 packages the seed count varied from 3 to 14, with a total of 70 seeds between the 8 packages.    I also have lined my fence with 4 o'clocks this year.  The last 2 years I have had them by my front door and they smelled so good when the blooms opened. They thrived in the heat last summer when every other flower I had just curled up and died.  The 4 o'clocks reseeded themselves by my door and have started to bloom. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love 4 o'clocks. Used to have them and they were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete