Thursday, June 14, 2012

Totally Delightful Books

I want to suggest a series of books for all grandmas to read. (Or adults, being a grandma is not a requirement.)  This month I checked out a book for my grandsons to read and I read it as well.  It is just delightful.  How many books have you read recently that you could say are just delightful?  The 3 titles I especially enjoy re-reading are written by Richard Peck. The Washington Post described him as the best living American author for young adults. I would say Amen - well, at least one of the best.  He is the first children's author to have been awarded a National Humanities Medal.  The delightful books I want to recommend to you to read even if you are an adult are these three: A Long Way From Chicago (Newbery Honor winner), it's sequel A Year Down Yonder (Newbery Medal winner),  and a companion book (the one I read this week) A Season of Gifts.  Just delightful (I can't say that enough). You will find in it the youth chapter book section at your library but I think you really have to be my age (50's) to thoroughly love these books.  The main characters are a grandma and a 15 year old girl in the first two.  In the companion book the same grandma is the neighbor of the new preacher and his family. If you like heartwarming, down home, humorous, insightful, coming of age, reminds me of The Worst Best Christmas Pageant Ever story, make-you-smile-for-days books then read these --- even if they do come from the youth section.  And of course, if you have not ever read The Worst Best Christmas Pageant Ever then get it while you are at the library too!

No comments:

Post a Comment